Friday, October 28, 2011

The Training of the Twelve...Still a Great Book on Christian Leadership

A. B. Bruce wrote this book quite some time ago. I first read this book as a new Christian at college, and since I was new, I didn't really understand many of the stories much less the application.

As a somewhat more mature Christian, rereading this book, I have a greater respect for the insights of its author.

On page 112, in my edition, when referring to the commission of the disciples on their first missions and Christ's instructions to take nothing, Bruce hit very close to home for me. He wrote:

"So understood, the words of our Lord are of permanent validity...Many a minister and missionary has obeyed these instructions almost in their letter, and many more have kept them in their spirit. Nay, has not every poor student fulfilled these injunctions...gone forth...without money in his pocket either to buy food or to pay fees."

I have struggled for years debating about getting more intense theological training. On one hand, I feel as though God is calling me. On the other hand, I make excuses, asking God to provide the means, and then I will go. When all the while, God says, "Go. Take nothing. I will provide."

May God help me to move.

No comments:

Post a Comment